Friday, November 28, 2014

Figurative Language: Alluding to Allusions

In this post, I am going to be talking about allusions!


Why? Well, it's one of my class assignments, to either write about an element of travel writing I enjoy or something about figurative language, and so, I went to sporcle ( http://www.sporcle.com/games/kmiz22/lit_terms) to see what other literary terms I have yet to cover, and allusion caught my eye. Plus, it's interesting!


When I first started off as a writer, I was really into adding allusions into my stories. In fact, I added so many, that I made a list of what allusions I integrated into the story, so that I would remember later on, in case I'd forget. I also had a list of other elements from my stories, like symbolism and themes, and etc.

And while looking for that, I found writings from like four plus years ago, and it was ... nostalgic. Weird. It's a marker on how far I've come as a person and a writer. I was a sad kid and in a sad position back then.

Very sad.

Anyway, I found this, about giving God glory through allusions from the bible: "I’ve been praying that He help me with this from the start, and thanking Him, and giving glory through allusions." At the time, I was very religious because of a girl, but that died out throughout the years. I was basically saying that i'd put tons of bible allusions in the story if God would help me get published. But, the allusions I picked are ones i really liked, and really did add value to the story.

One allusion was to Shakespeare: "Do not be afraid of greatness: Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them" (Shakespeare, Twelfth Night). What I had written for an allusion, was a different version of it (I was thinking of two different versions, it seems): "Do not be afraid of loneliness. Some are born sick, some achieve sickness, and some have sickness thrust upon them." The other version was: "Do not be afraid of loneliness: Some are are born lonely, some achieve loneliness, or some have loneliness thrust upon them." Morbid, yes. It's insightful though, and it sounded cool, I thought.

Another thing I had written in the outline: "The things he carried, references the story, 'The Things They Carried', to show the seriousness and importance and meaning of the situation." This was for the scene where Connor is running away from home, because he's misunderstood and they don't understand his magical situation, and he knows he needs to be alone to figure out what's going on. And he packs a bunch of things to take with him. Once he gathers everything up, I wrote, "These are the things he carried to be alone," or something of that nature. But the things he carried were the basics. He really didn't need much, apart from his self.

In another scene where the alien king (these are called the Axiomnivol race) fights the "bad" king and loses, he says, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" This is an obvious reference to Jesus toward the end of his life when he's on the cross.

I described the bad king's eyes as a "black circular pit,” referring to "Pit and the Pendulum" by Edgar Allen Poe, apparently. I think I was pushing that allusion a little too much, and it wasn't exactly an allusion.

Stars were symbols in the story, and one chapter was titled, "How I Wonder What You Are," which refers to the song, Twinkle Little Star. I wrote: "This allusion increases the value of the story by wondering what the star is. In my opinion, I hear a sinister tune when reading the chapter name. The star turns into a black hole. I really wonder what a star is if it can do that (it is like all of us, really)." It also referenced guidance, a hero leading the other, because of the lyrics, "Then the traveler in the dark, thanks you for your tiny spark; He could not see which way to go, if you did not twinkle so." The protagonist is able to help others "see which way to go" because of his twinkle. Also, they all have magical colored auras in the story, so they actually can shine like stars.                        

I even alluded to The Last Supper, which I completely forgot (It did not make the second draft). I wrote in my outline: "Frustawryvol and Connor and Decidvol and friends eating at the table in the end are a sly allusion to The Last Supper. It also refers to the betrayer, is Euvol or Libensvol the betrayer? 13 are here like at the last supper, including Decidvol, or excluding him and putting Libensvol in place. Though Frustawryvol has The Gift, Libensvol does not care, he does not care how close he is to their god, and orders him to be killed." I believe there were 13 seated at The Last Supper, and oddly enough, I had the same number of characters at the table.

In another instance, I alluded to Joseph Conrad's "Heart of Darkness" story, writing, "I refer to the black hole, 'The black hole looks like it is beating, light glistening around it and trying to escape, but its being pulled back in, into a heart of immense and utter darkness.'" And the words used in the actual story being alluded to were "seemed to lead into the heart of an immense darkness." I wrote: "This allusion increases the value of the story by using the symbol from heart of darkness, saying that blackhole DOES come from the heart, and evil originated from human nature." I thought it was a cool allusion. The evil king in the story created a black hole (made to try to kill everyone). I can't remember if that made the cut for the second draft, and if i was saving it for later in the series.

Again, I referred to The Bible, and more specifically, about light and darkness and how they relate to the eyes and one's body. I wrote, "When Sageuvol goes into flashback he starts off with this: 'Anheloneedvol’s eyes, they were pure black. I still cannot understand why his body still could expel light…'  The reference is this: “The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are good, your whole body will be full of light. But if your eyes are bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light within you is darkness, how great is that darkness!” The evil king Anheloneedvol's eyes are full of darkness, but his body is still able to expel light, a bright suioris (or aura). I also wrote in the outline, "Connor’s eye lights up when seeing Ailey [the girl he likes], this also alludes to his light." The fact this his truly lit up, and no one else's, was meant to show that he's the one with the most pure light.

It seems these allusions actually helped past Kevin write some of the story, as they gave new aspects to it.

In a scene where Connor is in a lush, beautiful forest (not unlike The Garden of Eden), a snake appears and (as I wrote in the outline) leads Connor to an apple tree because Decidvol (the supernatural presence of magic [or arsenergia] inside of him) suggests that they follow the snake. When Connor takes a bite of the apple tree, he finds that it is dry and inedible. It led Connor away from his water source, and he's unable to find it again. Then, it starts to rain, and the whole forest eventually becomes flooded, alluding to the flood in the bible. Instead of two of every animal, it's just Connor and Decidvol trying to escape (though Decidvol is inside Connor as arsenergia, so he counts as only one, technically), by learning to fly. And as they fly over the forest, they see a lone wolf running away (again, one [animal] instead of two).

One more? I rewrote a reference to the line in the bible and a reference to Lincoln's speech, "A body divided cannot stand," into, "a body divided cannot stand, but sometimes a body needs to be divided so that it can stand properly." When the two protagonists, Connor and Decidvol, are divided in what they have to do, they are actually more unified afterward as a result.

Anyway, allusions are pretty cool. And it's even cooler to morph them a bit, edit the lines and make them your own, or edit them so that they mean something else, to fit your purpose. But don't go too crazy with them like past Kevin did. Keep in mind I wrote that outline and story about three years ago, so I know I could write that all better as of today.

And to finish, I think this blog post alludes to the past Kevin and his writings, just to show how far he has come into the present.

Not sure why, but these lyrics have come to mind: (Yes, I'm not alluding to the lyrics' original intent, the civil rights movement, but i'm simply alluding to the song, and reading the lyrics literally in this context.)

"We've come a long long way together,
Through the hard times and the good,
I have to celebrate you baby,
I have to praise you like I should."

"I've come a long long way together,
Through the hard times and the good,
I have to celebrate me baby,
I have to praise me like I should."

No comments:

Post a Comment