Sunday, November 2, 2014

Trip to Schramm’s Farm and Orchards

When I arrived at Schramm’s farm and viewed the area before I parked, I had an eerie sense of déjà vu.


   Had I been here before? I wondered. It certainly seemed so. The shop buildings, the inside full of rows and rows of vegetables, the pumpkins lined up in rows and rows of patches, the corn maze.

   Then I saw myself as a little boy sitting in some type of carriage holding a tiny pumpkin and perhaps another memory of me carrying a tiny pumpkin stem with my small hand.

   Yes, I have been here, I thought. I’ve been to this exact farm when I was a little boy. That’s hard to believe, that my father would drive for over an hour to get to this pumpkin patch.

   Once inside the store, I noticed the many different kinds of jalapeño peppers. 



   There were jalapenos for $2.99 a pound: regular Jalapeno Peppers, Serrano Hot Peppers, Hot Cherry Peppers. And there were jalapeno peppers for $2.49 a pound: Poblano Peppers, Hot Romanian Peppers, Sweet Banana Peppers, Sweet Gypsy Peppers, Cubanelle Peppers, and they all looked so delicious and hot. I love spicy food. I can’t resist spicy food, especially a hot pepper. I wanted to try every one, but alas, that would have to wait for another day.

   I toured around and looked at the other foods, also seeing books like Beer Willow Cook Books, and Old Fashioned Apple Recipes.

   I ended up walking outside to where two ladies stood behind a stand that contained tons of ice and dozens of bottles of wine. 

       I found out her name was Barb. She’s 38, and her dad and brothers own the farm, and she’s from the 6th generation in the family. Her uncle works with Nick M. who is the owner. Arrowhead has shops and they wanted to put one here. Vignoles may be here favorite wine. She also said that growing fruits and vegetables is rewarding, and because they are able to provide healthy food.

   I turned away and was drawn toward the rows of bright orange pumpkins of various sizes, many of them mostly gigantic.

   After walking around, I found a huge area that was a corn maze. 

   As I walked into the maze, I grabbed my Android phone and turned it on to recording, and narrated my way as I journeyed through it. “I’m recording this,” I say, out of breath, “in case I don’t make it out.” Then I notice my phone battery about to die. “And when they find my phone, I hope they charge its battery, and go straight to the recording section so they know what happened to me.” It dies, and so I don’t get to complete my recording.

   But I make it out of the maze after fifteen minutes of aimlessly wandering around. 

I turned to see a sign the reads, “Maze Admission Costs $2 for Children, $5 for Adults.” Wait, I thought, that wasn’t free?

   I went in without paying. Oops. Making that maze wasn’t free, I thought. I guess I didn’t think it was possible for that to be monetized, but it was. Again. Oops.

  As I walked around to find something else to do, I saw a pregnant woman who looked like she had a gigantic pumpkin under the shirt of her stomach.

   I approach a truck where it seems like fryers are connected to it. French Fries, and cheese, I think. Mmm. So I decide to wait in line, which took at least fifteen minutes just to get some french fries.

   Later, I walk into the bakery entrance, where my nose is hit with a wall of sweet smells and spices. My nose has never been so overstimulated in my life, at least from what I can remember.

   As I walked to my car to leave the pumpkin patch, it was interesting to get a new perspective of the place as an adult. The place looked so much bigger—filled me with so much awe—when I was a little boy, my tiny feet barely able to take me around the place. Now, it seems small, easily traversable, with each lift of my gigantic footsteps.  

   Life is so different when comparing how we experience it as a child and how we experience it as an adult.



No comments:

Post a Comment